French Market Soup Recipe
- 3 cups assorted dried beans for soup
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 12 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid; return beans to the pan. Add the ham hocks, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours or until beans are tender.
- 3. Remove ham hocks; set aside until cool enough to handle. Add the tomatoes, onions, lemon juice, garlic and chili powder to the beans. Simmer 1 hour longer.
- 4. Remove ham from bones and cut into cubes; discard bones. Return ham to soup. Stir in the kielbasa, chicken, wine and parsley. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and as thick as desired. Yield: 12 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
1-1/2 cup: 291 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 840mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 18g fiber), 23g protein.
Reviews for French Market Soup
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.