- 2 tablespoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add salt, sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into 12-in.-long loaves.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Sprinkle with cornmeal. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for French Loaves
Sort By :
"I make one like this have for years but i use little less flour. About 3 1/2 to 4 and kneading is the key to this bread or it will be very dense. I suggest the first knead should be 10- 15 min and on the second knead #3 direction kneaded for 10-15 min and see if that makes a difference otherwise a great bread."
"My first time making bread loaf from scratch and it came out Perfect!..Great tasting bread which we used to make delicious garlic bread this past weekend. Easy and Fool proof enough for a first timer...I would recommend this to anyone!"
"Nice taste but a little dense, even for French bread."
"Have made this recipe several times!! I love how easy it is...homemade bread that taste great!"
"Perfect every time."