French Loaves Recipe
My kids love to help me make this delicious bread recipe. It's quite easy and they love that they can be eating fresh bread in less than two hours! —Denise Boutin, Grand Isle, Vermont
- 2 tablespoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add salt, sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into 12-in.-long loaves.
- 4. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 450°. Sprinkle with cornmeal. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 79 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 197 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC