You can't beat the taste of homemade french fries ... they're so much better than the frozen variety.
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1 pound russet potatoes
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-in. julienned strips; soak in cold water for 30
- Drain potatoes; pat dry with paper towels. In an electric skillet or
- deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 340°. Fry potatoes in batches for
- 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon;
- drain on paper towels.
- Increase heat of oil to 375°. Fry potatoes again in batches for
- 1-2 minutes or until crisp and golden brown, turning frequently.
- Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt. Serve immediately. Yield:
- 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 16 french fries equals 190 calories, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 449 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.