French Dip Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 to 14 French rolls, split
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; place over onions.
- In a large bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, soup mix, browning sauce if desired and garlic; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast with a slotted spoon and let stand for 15 minutes. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Place on roll bottoms; sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Replace tops. Skim fat from cooking juices; strain and serve as a dipping sauce. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for French Dip Sandwiches(6)
Sort By :
My family loves these! I only use half a packet of soup mix to cut the sodium, but they are great without it. We like to eat these on Hoagie Buns from the Bakery.
A family favorite! Have been making for years. I put less soy sauce in, 1/3 cup. I butter and toast bread under broiler, add meat and cheese, then put back in oven to melt cheese. They are just as good the next day for lunch.
This has been a family favorite for years! I like to toast buttered French rolls under the broiler before putting the cheese and meat on the bread. Then I return them to the oven to melt the cheese. I also use less soy sauce; 1/3 cup is plenty. YUMMY!
My family loves this recipe. I make it for them often. The au juice taste just like you get in the restaurant.
This is one of the best french dips I've ever tasted. We have a resturant in town that has been known for their french dip for over 40 years & my husband though this recipie was even better!! This is so simple to make too.
More Recipe Collections
- Dinner Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Sandwiches >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Sandwich Recipes >