French Dip Sandwich with Onions Recipe
When Florence Robinson of Lenox, Iowa wants to impress company, she puts these satisfying sandwiches on the menu. "I serve the au jus sauce in individual bowls for dipping. It's delicious," she assures.
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 to 14 French rolls, split
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; place over onions.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, soup mix, browning sauce if desired and garlic; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove roast with a slotted spoon and let stand for 15 minutes. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Place on roll bottoms; sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- 4. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Replace tops. Skim fat from cooking juices; strain and serve as a dipping sauce. Yield: 12-14 servings.
B> 1 sandwich (calculated without browning sauce) equals 343 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 1,053 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC