French Dip Sandwich with Onions Recipe
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 to 14 French rolls, split
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; place over onions.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, soup mix, browning sauce if desired and garlic; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove roast with a slotted spoon and let stand for 15 minutes. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Place on roll bottoms; sprinkle with Swiss cheese. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- 4. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Replace tops. Skim fat from cooking juices; strain and serve as a dipping sauce. Yield: 12-14 servings.
B> 1 sandwich (calculated without browning sauce) equals 343 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 1,053 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.