French Dip au Jus Recipe
I created this because so many French Dip recipes seem bland or rely on a mix. The sandwich is simple to make and tastes better than a restaurant version. —Lindsay Ebert, Orem, Utah
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef base
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds), cut in half
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 loaves French bread (1 pound each), split and toasted
- 12 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1. Combine beef base and thyme; rub over roast and place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the onion, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaf and pepper; pour over roast. Add water.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast to a cutting board; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, reserving onion; skim fat from juices. Discard bay leaf. Thinly slice meat.
- 3. To assemble sandwiches, spread mustard over bread. Top each bottom with three slices cheese; layer with beef, remaining cheese, mushrooms and reserved onion. Replace tops. Cut each loaf into four slices; serve with reserved juices. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice with 1 cup juices equals 694 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 1,906 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 59 g protein.
Reviews for French Dip au Jus
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC