- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef base
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds), cut in half
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 loaves French bread (1 pound each), split and toasted
- 12 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- Combine beef base and thyme; rub over roast and place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the onion, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaf and pepper; pour over roast. Add water.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast to a cutting board; cool slightly. Strain cooking juices, reserving onion; skim fat from juices. Discard bay leaf. Thinly slice meat.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread mustard over bread. Top each bottom with three slices cheese; layer with beef, remaining cheese, mushrooms and reserved onion. Replace tops. Cut each loaf into four slices; serve with reserved juices. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for French Dip au Jus
"Too easy not to try! Looking to reduce sodium in this recipe try using Kitchen basics very low sodium broth vs the base and decrease some of the water. Make sure to use crusty bread for the sandwich and it does pair well with swiss cheese."
"For pete's sake, people. If you're that worried about sodium use low-sodium beef base, and in general increase the amount of potassium in your diet to balance out sodium intake..."
"My boyfriend and I absolutely loved this recipe! The only bad part was I had my wisdom teeth taken put yesterday so it was a little hard to eat.. But very juicy and tender meat! We used Hoagie rolls instead.. Delicious :)"
"If you make this with reduced-sodium beef base (found it on amazon) and low-sodium soy sauce you can save almost 600 mg. of sodium."
"Good Lord!!Look at the amount of sodium in one sandqitch...I don't care how good it is-it is certainly not healthy and really bad for anyone with high blood pressure."