French Country Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl; transfer to an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 60-70 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Yield: 9 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-fat turkey kielbasa and reduced-sodium broth) equals 268 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 894 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 lean meat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.