French Country Casserole
This delicious dish is great for busy nights when you don't have much time to devote to dinner. It's a quick-to-fix version of a traditional French cassoulet that was an instant hit with my husband, who enjoys smoked sausage. Just mix everything together and bake. The heavenly aroma will draw your family to the table.
Kim Lowe, Coralville, Iowa
9 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Sausage or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl; transfer to an ungreased 3-qt.
- baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 60-70 minutes or until
- the carrots are tender. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-fat turkey kielbasa and reduced-sodium broth) equals 268 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 894 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 lean meat.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet