This delicious dish is great for busy nights when you don't have much time to devote to dinner. It's a quick-to-fix version of a traditional French cassoulet that was an instant hit with my husband, who enjoys smoked sausage. Just mix everything together and bake. The heavenly aroma will draw your family to the table. Kim Lowe, Coralville, Iowa
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl; transfer to an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 60-70 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as French Country Casserole in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p29
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for French Country Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review