French Chocolate Coffee Cake Recipe
My mom always made this coffee cake as a special treat for us on Christmas morning. And my family loves the rich fudgy filling just as much as we did back then.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, sugar, egg yolks, milk, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For filling, combine the chocolate chips, milk and sugar in a saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Stir in cinnamon; set aside.
- For topping, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into an 18-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread with filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place in a well-greased 10-in. fluted tube pan, with seam facing inside of pan. Sprinkle with topping. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners; sugar if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as French Chocolate Coffee Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p19
Reviews for French Chocolate Coffee Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Breakfast Coffee Cake >
- Bundt Coffee Cake >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Coffee Cake >
- Chocolate Coffee Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Coffee Cake Bread Recipes >
- Coffee Cake Recipes >