French Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 cup cold strong brewed coffee
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- RUM GLAZE:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Chocolate curls
- 1. Line two greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in chocolate and coffee. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to chocolate mixture alternately with buttermilk (batter will be thick).
- 2. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring sugar, milk and butter to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extract.
- 4. Invert cakes onto wire racks; drizzle with glaze. Cool completely. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and milk; stir until smooth. Refrigerate until spreadable, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Place one cake on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake. Spread whipped topping over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Garnish with chocolate curls. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 558 calories, 21g fat (14g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 87g carbohydrate (60g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for French Chocolate Cake
"Use 3, 9 inch pans! Mine overflowed all over my oven. The cake does taste wonderful. I did make the glaze but thought it didn't need that much, so I just brushed it on top and around the sides. I will try this again using 3 pans. It might just turn into a 5 star review!"
"This cake was so chocolatey and moist. Even my husband, who doesn't like too much chocolate, thought it was delicious."
"It was very good. The cake did stick to the sides of the pan because I only put wax paper on the bottom. Don't skip that step. Also I cut it into 16 slices easily."