French Chocolate Cake Recipe
Tender cake layers, a delightful fudge filling and a light and airy frosting await your taste buds! "If you're a chocoholic like I am, you'll just love this rich chocolate cake," says Claire Darby from New Castle, Delaware.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 cup cold strong brewed coffee
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- RUM GLAZE:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Chocolate curls
- 1. Line two greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in chocolate and coffee. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to chocolate mixture alternately with buttermilk (batter will be thick).
- 2. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring sugar, milk and butter to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extract.
- 4. Invert cakes onto wire racks; drizzle with glaze. Cool completely. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and milk; stir until smooth. Refrigerate until spreadable, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Place one cake on a serving plate; spread with filling. Top with remaining cake. Spread whipped topping over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Garnish with chocolate curls. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 558 calories, 21 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 615 mg sodium, 87 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC