French Cheeseburger Loaf Recipe
Once you prepare this impressive-looking, yet simple-to-make sandwich, you’ll probably never look at refrigerated bread dough the same. It’s just so easy! Nancy Daugherty - Cortland, OH
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 4 slices reduced-fat process American cheese product
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, mustard and ketchup; set aside.
- 2. Unroll dough starting at the seam. Pat into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spoon meat mixture lengthwise down the center of the dough; top with cheese slices. Bring long sides of dough to the center over filling; pinch seam to seal.
- 3. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush with egg white. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 4. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in top of loaf. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 277 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 697 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC