French Canadian Tourtieres Recipe
- 4 celery ribs
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 large onions
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 pounds ground pork
- 2 pounds ground veal
- 2 pounds bulk Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Pastry for four double-crust pies (9 inches)
- 1. Coarsely chop the celery, carrots and onions; place in a food processor with garlic. Cover and process until finely chopped; set aside.
- 2. In a stockpot or two Dutch ovens, cook vegetables, pork, veal and sausage until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in broth, parsley and seasonings. Reduce heat; cover and cook on low 20 minutes. Stir in bread crumbs.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400°. Line four 9-in. pie plates with bottom crusts; trim pastry even with edges. Fill each with about 4 cups filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit tops of pies; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
Cover edges of remaining pies loosely with foil. Bake at for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; remove foil and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until crusts are golden brown.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pies. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 400°. Place pie on a baking sheet; cover edge loosely with foil. Bake 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° remove foil and bake 50-60 minutes longer or until crusts are golden brown and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 4 pies (8 servings each).
1 piece equals 469 calories, 29 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 672 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.