French Canadian Meat Pie Recipe
This hearty meat pie was traditionally served on Christmas Eve by mother's family in Quebec. The recipe has been passed down through at least four generations and has been translated from my grandmother's original recipe in French. —Diane Davies Indian Trial, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pastry for two double-crust pies (9 inches)
- Milk, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, pork, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Remove from the heat. Stir in the potatoes, broth and seasonings.
- 2. Line two 9-in. pie plates with pastry. Divide meat mixture between crusts. Top with remaining pastry; trim, seal and flute edges.
- 3. Cut slits in top. Brush with milk if desired. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC