French Canadian Meat Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pastry for two double-crust pies (9 inches)
- Milk, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, pork, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Remove from the heat. Stir in the potatoes, broth and seasonings.
- Line two 9-in. pie plates with pastry. Divide meat mixture between crusts. Top with remaining pastry; trim, seal and flute edges.
- Cut slits in top. Brush with milk if desired. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for French Canadian Meat Pie
Sort By :
"My parents are both French Canadian and growing up in NH this was always a special treat for supper. I'm so glad I found this recipe because it is pretty close to the one my mom used to make except she used poultry seasoning instead of the other spices."
"This recipe is fairly simple to make. However, I didn't care for how bland it came out so I added about a quarter of every spice to the meat mixture. That made it Very good. I also added about 6 tablespoons of Worchestershire sauce. This too added to the deliciousness of it. It is very good for something different. My husband is french canadian and enjoyed this recipe very much. Thank you for the great idea. I LOVE meat pies:)"
"Nothing much against this recipe. It just wasn't a favorite with my family. The mashed potatoes were different in a meat pie. I would have liked it better if the potatoes were not mashed. However, this all depends on the tastes of the person eating it."
"I didn't really care for this recipe. I had one similar many years ago that was delicious. I'll have to dig it out."
"This is a wonderful recipe. Very hearty and can be served with a side salad. I love it with a delicious gravy. Wonderful!"