French Breakfast Puffs Recipe
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a small bowl, beat shortening, 1/2 cup sugar and egg until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; add to the sugar mixture alternately with milk.
- 2. Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll the warm puffs in butter, then in cinnamon-sugar. Serve immediately. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 each: 233 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for French Breakfast Puffs
"If I could give this recipe 10 stars, I do it! This has been an all-time favorite for our family of 8 since I first made it when this issue of quick Cooking arrived in our mailbox nearly 17 years ago! One of my most requested recipes from our kids & now their spouses! Don't change a thing except maybe, double the recipe! Oh, & melt an additional 2 TBSP. of butter for the coating. Tastes just like the mini donuts you get at the fair!"
"Been making these delicious treats since a young girl and have enjoyed sharing them with my children. An impressive treat to share with others too."
"I've been making this recipe for years. I usually add nutmeg to both the muffins and the topping. They are fantastic!"
"This recipe was first published in Betty Crocker's Old-Fashioned Cookbook, copyright 1990 by General Mills, Inc."
"I omitted the rolling the puffs in butter part at the end. I just put cinnamon sugar on the tops of the puffs and then put them in the oven. They came out with the perfect cinnamon sugar taste - no butter needed at the end!"
"I changed the shortening by using butter. I also added 1 teaspoon of nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon into the mixture..fantastic..I also baked them in a mini muffin pan at 400 for 10 mins. they came out great..everyone loves them. Thank-you for the recipe"