French Bread Recipe
"My husband game me a bread machine for Christmas the year we were married, and I use it about once a week," notes Janet Vink from Geneseo, Illinois. "We like slices of this bread with a spaghetti dinner and often use the leftovers for French toast."
- 1-1/4 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted, optional
- 1. In bread machine pan, place the first five ingredients in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Roll each portion into a 10-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- 3. Sprinkle a greased baking sheet with cornmeal; place loaves seam side down on prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Whisk egg and water; brush over loaves. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 50 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 77 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC