French Bread Stuffed with Beef Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 large baked potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the potato, soup, mushrooms, parsley, garlic powder, pepper and hot pepper sauce; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut the loaf of bread in half lengthwise. Hollow out bottom of loaf, leaving a 3/4-in. shell; set aside. Place the removed bread in a blender; cover and process until crumbled. Add 1 cup of crumbs to beef mixture (save remaining crumbs for another use). Stir in cheese.
- 3. Spoon beef mixture into bread shell; replace bread top. Wrap in heavy-duty foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 369 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 790 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.