French Bread Pizza
Why reach for a frozen pizza when you can make this easy-to-prepare homemade version? It appeals to kids of all ages.—Sue McLaughlin, Onawa, Iowa
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 jar (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium
- heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in pizza sauce and mushrooms;
- set aside.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise, then into eight pieces. Spread meat
- sauce on bread; place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with
- mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes or until cheese melted and
- bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 pieces) equals 296 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 764 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.