French Bread Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted, optional
- In bread machine pan, place the first five ingredients in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Roll each portion into a 10-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- Sprinkle a greased baking sheet with cornmeal; place loaves seam side down on prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Whisk egg and water; brush over loaves. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for French Bread
Sort By :
So good! So easy! I followed the recipe exactly and it was wonderful! I will make it again and again.
This is my go-to bread recipe. Sometimes I divide the dough into 12 parts and make sandwich rolls. Turns out perfect, every time!
Made a couple of mistakes, all mine. But it still turned out great. Next time I will not watch 3 different videos of how to make bread. Just do as the directions say. Will make again and again. Thank you
This is the second time and they turned out great. The only change I made was no egg wash, forgot we had used the last. But everything turned out great.
Very good. Tastes just like a true French Bread from the bakery.
First recipe I tried besides my standard french bread recipe - this was very easy to make and so good! And the egg wash, slashes and sesame seeds really make it look gorgeous :)