French Berry Torte Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 10 saltines, crushed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam, divided
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1. Place egg whites, 1 teaspoon vanilla and cream of tartar in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat egg white mixture until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff speaks form. Fold in pecans and saltines.
- 2. Spread into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and 2 tablespoons cream until smooth. In another bowl, beat remaining cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and remaining vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- 4. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the sweetened whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Fold in remaining whipped cream until combined. Spread 1/2 cup jam over meringue shell. Top with cream cheese mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- 5. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Arrange strawberries over top. In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave remaining jam in 10-second intervals until melted; brush over strawberries. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 325 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for French Berry Torte
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.