French Beef Stew
When it comes to this thick down-home stew, Iola Egle lets her slow cooker do the work. "Then I simply toss together a green salad and dinner is ready," she pens from Bella Vista, Arkansas.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 9 hours
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place the potatoes in a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with the beef,
- carrots, onions and celery. In a large bowl, combine the remaining
- ingredients. Pour over the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are
- tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 227 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 942 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.