"This flavorful soup tastes so fresh you'll never know it's been frozen," says Elizabeth Moore of Frankfort, Kentucky. You can easily double the recipe when tomatoes are plentiful or toss in extra vegetables from your garden. For heartier fare, beef it up with ground beef, sausage or meatballs.
- SOUP BASE:
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups water
- In a kettle or Dutch oven, combine the soup base ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Cool.
- Place 2 cups each into freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 2 batches (4 cups total).
- To prepare soup: Thaw soup base in the refrigerator. Transfer to a kettle or Dutch oven. Add potatoes and water; simmer for 30-40 minutes. Yield: 4 servings per batch. Yield: 2 batches (4 cups total).
Originally published as Freezer Vegetable Soup in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p34
Reviews for Freezer Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 31, 2015
"Made this today on a cold and wet Halloween!! It was great!! Added a little of TOH Cali garlic & pepper to it! Wow! Family lived it!!"