Freezer Slaw Recipe
This unusual slaw recipe from my mother combines all the ingredients, then stores in the freezer. Remember to thaw before serving. — Alice Campbell, Dickinson, North Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + freezing Cook: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:18 servings
- 2 medium heads cabbage, shredded (about 16 cups)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1. Place cabbage in a very large bowl; toss with salt. Let stand 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- 3. Drain excess liquid from cabbage, if necessary. Add red peppers and carrots to cabbage. Add dressing; toss to coat. Cool completely. Transfer to freezer containers. Freeze, covered, up to 3 months.
- 4. To serve, thaw coleslaw overnight in refrigerator. Stir before serving. Yield: 18 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 126 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 287 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC