This unusual slaw recipe from my mother combines all the ingredients, then stores in the freezer. Remember to thaw before serving. — Alice Campbell, Dickinson, North Dakota
18 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + freezing Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 2 medium heads cabbage, shredded (about 16 cups)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- Place cabbage in a very large bowl; toss with salt. Let stand 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, vinegar, celery
- seed and mustard seed. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Drain excess liquid from cabbage, if necessary. Add red peppers and
- carrots to cabbage. Add dressing; toss to coat. Cool completely.
- Transfer to freezer containers. Freeze, covered, up to 3 months.
- To serve, thaw coleslaw overnight in refrigerator. Stir before
- serving. Yield: 18 servings (3/4 cup each).
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 126 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 287 mg sodium,