Freezer Slaw Recipe
- 2 medium heads cabbage, shredded (about 16 cups)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1. Place cabbage in a very large bowl; toss with salt. Let stand 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- 3. Drain excess liquid from cabbage, if necessary. Add red peppers and carrots to cabbage. Add dressing; toss to coat. Cool completely. Transfer to freezer containers. Freeze, covered, up to 3 months.
- 4. To serve, thaw coleslaw overnight in refrigerator. Stir before serving. Yield: 18 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup: 126 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Freezer Slaw
"Very good. Served with the BBQ chicken sliders."
"This recipe is older than the hills and I remember my Grandmother serving it over thirty years ago. If I remember correctly, she used green pepper instead of red. It is a great way to use up the extra cabbage in the fall. YUMMO!"
"Needed more flavor. Loved the crunch and that u could just take it out of the freezer and thaw."
"Made this recipe a couple of weeks ago, froze it, and defrosted and enjoyed it this past weekend when I had some company over. It was a big hit! Very tasty, wasn't mushy, all the flavors blended perfectly. Thank you for a real keeper!"
"So tasty. I didn't have room to freeze it so I made a half batch. That was way too much for eight people so I ended up getting rid of some of it. I would do a quarter recipe next time. I didn't have mustard seed but I did have ground mustard and that worked. It got raves along with the BBQ chicken Sliders at a dinner I cooked."
"I have not made this recipe yet but I am trying to find out if anyone put it in the freezer, and did it not turn mushy. I am the social director for a large Christian Choir and would love to make this ahead for our October opening. Please let me know. Johnson7756@msn.com"
"This recipe was pretty potent. My mother and I drained off a lot of the extra liquid just to tone down the overpowering vinegar."
"I have always hated coleslaw. It didn't matter who made it or what store it came from...it is gross. Well after 10 years of trying all kinds of recipes, this it it! I have found a coleslaw I like!! In fact I love this coleslaw!!!"
"This really makes a lot of slaw, but in my house everyone loved it so well we didn't even need to put it in the freezer before it was gone. Great flavor. We're not huge on celery seed so I did cut the amount of that in half. Thank you for sharing!"
"This came out very delicious. However I decided to use the coleslaw mix (1 package) instead of having to slice up a cabbage and halved the rest of the ingredients. Also I did not let the cabbage sit in salt since I combined this with the BBQ chicken Sliders like in the magazine and together it would have had way too much salt. I also added Cayenne Pepper and Louisiana Hot sauce to give it an extra kick. My husband loved this."