- 2 medium heads cabbage, shredded (about 16 cups)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- Place cabbage in a very large bowl; toss with salt. Let stand 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Drain excess liquid from cabbage, if necessary. Add red peppers and carrots to cabbage. Add dressing; toss to coat. Cool completely. Transfer to freezer containers. Freeze, covered, up to 3 months.
- To serve, thaw coleslaw overnight in refrigerator. Stir before serving. Yield: 18 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Freezer Slaw
"Very good. Served with the BBQ Chicken sliders."
"This recipe is older than the hills and I remember my Grandmother serving it over thirty years ago. If I remember correctly, she used green pepper instead of red. It is a great way to use up the extra cabbage in the fall. YUMMO!"
"Needed more flavor. Loved the crunch and that u could just take it out of the freezer and thaw."
"Made this recipe a couple of weeks ago, froze it, and defrosted and enjoyed it this past weekend when I had some company over. It was a big hit! Very tasty, wasn't mushy, all the flavors blended perfectly. Thank you for a real keeper!"
"So tasty. I didn't have room to freeze it so I made a half batch. That was way too much for eight people so I ended up getting rid of some of it. I would do a quarter recipe next time. I didn't have mustard seed but I did have ground mustard and that worked. It got raves along with the BBQ Chicken Sliders at a dinner I cooked."