"Kids in the home economics class at the school where I teach were making this salsa, and it smelled so good that I got the recipe," says field editor Deanna Richter of Elmore, Minnesota. "It's a great way to use up garden produce."
40 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + freezing Cook: 45 min. + cooling
- 8 cups diced seeded peeled tomatoes (about 10 large)
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 2/3 cup condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring
- Pour into small freezer containers. Cool to room temperature, about 1
- hour. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Stir before serving.
- Yield: 10 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 23 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.