Freezer Salsa Jam
This is a great addition to any Mexican dish. I made it from combining a friend's recipe and a recipe from a canning cookbook. You can adjust the heat by reducing the amount of hot peppers and hot sauce.Ellen Katzke, Delavan, Minnesota
36 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min. + standing
- 2 cups finely chopped plum tomatoes (6 to 7)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh or canned jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) pectin for lower sugar recipes
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, tomato sauce, cilantro,
- peppers, lime juice, peel and hot pepper sauce; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and pectin; stir in water. Bring
- to a boil; boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in
- tomato mixture; continue to stir until well combined.
- Pour into jars or plastic containers. Cover and let stand overnight
- or until set, but not longer than 24 hours. Refrigerate for up to 3
- weeks or freeze for up to 1 year. Yield: 4-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 45 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 51 mg sodium,