Freezer Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 9 large), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. In a large bowl, mash potatoes with butter. Beat in the sour cream, cream cheese, onion powder, salt and pepper. Transfer 1-1/2 cups to a 2-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
- 3. Cool remaining mashed potatoes. Freeze in 1-1/2-cup portions for up to 6 months.
- 4. To use frozen potatoes: Thaw in the refrigerator. Bake as directed. Yield: 14 servings.
3/4 cup (prepared with reduced-fat sour cream and reduced-fat cream cheese) equals 195 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 173 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.