Freezer French Toast
I don't care for prepackaged frozen French toast, but I rarely have time in the mornings to prepare it from scratch. Then my friend gave me this wonderful recipe. I keep a freezer full of these slices and simply pop them into the oven for a homemade breakfast in no time.
4-5 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + freezing Bake: 20 min.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Place
- bread in a well-greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour egg mixture
- over bread. Let soak for several minutes, turning once to coat.
- Freeze until firm. Package in airtight containers.
- To bake, place bread on a well-greased baking sheet. Dot with butter.
- Bake at 450° for 7 minutes; turn and bake 10-12 minutes longer
- or until golden brown. Yield: 4-5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 slices (prepared with egg substitute, sugar substitute equivalent to 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1 tablespoon margarine) equals 217 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 437 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.