Freezer Coleslaw Recipe
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage and salt; let stand for 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, water, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Add the carrot, green pepper and vinegar mixture to the cabbage mixture; stir to combine. Transfer to large freezer bags; seal and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Remove from the freezer 2 hours before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Freezer Coleslaw(5)
Sort By :
This slaw was really good before I put it into the freezer... I just didn't like what the freezer did to the cabbage. I would make it again but wouldn't try freezing it again.
Why so much sugar?
I love this. I have made it for years.
This slaw had a very frozen taste to it. Definitely not comparable to fresh. I was hoping for the convenience of having it right at hand during the summer months but will go back to making it fresh.
The Very Best!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Coleslaw Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Salad Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Salads >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >