Freezer Burritos Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in salsa and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; set aside.
- 2. In a food processor, combine pinto beans and water. Cover and process until almost smooth. Add to beef mixture. Stir in cheese.
- 3. Spoon 1/2 cup beef mixture down the center of each tortilla. Fold ends and sides over filling; roll up. Wrap each burrito in waxed paper and foil. Freeze for up to 1 month.
- 4. To use frozen burritos: Remove foil and waxed paper. Place one burrito on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°, turning burrito over once. Let stand for 20 seconds. Yield: 12 servings.
1 burrito equals 345 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 677 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.