Freeze Ahead Peach Pie Filling
To make peach pie even during the winter, I use this simple recipe. It also makes it easier when I have guests to prepare a quick and easy dessert.—Mary Ellen Thomas, Greer, South Carolina
24-32 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + freezing Bake: 70 min.
- 4 quarts sliced peeled fresh peaches
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Line four 9-in. pie pans with foil. Add fruit mixture and level;
- place in freezer until frozen solid. When frozen, close foil,
- sealing well to prevent freezer burn. Remove from pans and stack in
- freezer until ready to use.
- To bake, remove frozen peaches from the foil and place in an unbaked
- pie shell. Cover with top crust and seal. Brush with melted butter
- and cover crust edges with foil. Bake at 400° for 50 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake about 20 minutes or until bubbly
- and golden brown. Yield: 4 pies, 24-32 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 136 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 56 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.