Freeze-Ahead Peach Pie Filling
This recipe makes four of the best, juiciest pies around!
32 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing Bake: 50 min.
- 4 quarts sliced peeled fresh peaches
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Line four 9-in. pie pans with foil. Spoon fruit mixture into pans
- and level.
- Place in freezer until frozen solid. When frozen, close foil, sealing
- well to prevent freezer burn. Remove foil from pans and freeze until
- ready to use.
- To bake: Remove frozen peaches from foil and place in a unbaked
- pastry shell. Cover with top crust and seal; brush top with melted
- butter. Cover crust edges with foil.
- Bake at 400° for 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20 minutes more
- or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: recipe
- makes enough filling for 4 pies.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 137 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 56 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.