Frank's Sauerbraten Recipe
—Frank Newton, St. Thomas, Ontario
- 1 beef pot roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 6 bay leaves
- 8 whole cloves
- 20 whole peppercorns
- 2 slices onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 2 to 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 to 12 gingersnaps, crushed
- Noodles or dumplings
- 1. Place pot roast in a large glass bowl. In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns, onion, sugar, salt and garlic. Bring to a boil. Pour half over roast, adding enough water to cover roast. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade. Cover and refrigerate roast for 36-48 hours, turning twice a day.
- 2. Discard marinade from roast and pat it dry. In a Dutch oven, heat the oil and brown roast on all sides. Add reserved marinade to pan; cover and simmer for 3 hours or until tender.
- 3. Remove the roast; discard the bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves from pan juices. Bring juices to a boil. Add gingersnaps; cook and stir until thickened. Serve with noodles or dumplings. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Frank's Sauerbraten
Reviewed Jan. 21, 2012
"This was very easy and very good. I made it in the oven instead of on the stove. Served it with Mashed potatoes."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC