The outstanding barbecue taste of these beans makes them a favorite for cookouts all summer and into the fall. It's a popular dish with everyone—even kids. Having meat in with the beans is so much better than plain pork and beans. —Donna Fancher, Lawrence, Indiana
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- In a large skillet, cook bacon, beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish; add all of the beans and mix well. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir into beef and bean mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Fourth of July Bean Casserole in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p39
Reviews for Fourth of July Bean Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review