Fourth of July Bean Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- In a large skillet, cook bacon, beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish; add all of the beans and mix well. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir into beef and bean mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Fourth of July Bean Casserole
Sort By :
We really enjoyed the mixture of beans in this dish. The only thing I would change is the amount of sugar. I cut back on it but will probably eliminate the white sugar completely.
Loved this recipe. I ended up using 4 x 15 oz. cans of pork and beans, 1 can of kidney bean, and 1 can of butter beans and left all the other ingredient measurements the same. I let it simmer in a slow cooker during the morning of the cookout so the flavors could mesh together and put it in the oven during the last hour. Turned out fantastic. Best baked beans dish I've made ever.
This recipe sounded so appealing but I changed the recipe somewhat because of too much sugar. I used 2 cans of Bushes country style baked beans and 1 can of light red kidney beans, leaving out the lima beans and the sugar. Left out the ketchup and increased the barbecue sauce. Did not use molasses because the baked beans had molasses in them. Added the chili powder and mustard. Delicious!
Wonderful recipe full of flavor and protein. I cut down on sugar since I don't care for savory foods to be sweet. This is very similar to how I normally make the beans. Perfect for anytime!
Forget the limas,yuck1 use cannelli beans