Fourth of July Bean Casserole Recipe
The outstanding barbecue taste of these beans makes them a favorite for cookouts all summer and into the fall. It's a popular dish with everyone—even kids. Having meat in with the beans is so much better than plain pork and beans. —Donna Fancher, Lawrence, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour YIELD:12 servings
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon, beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish; add all of the beans and mix well. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir into beef and bean mixture.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 278 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 933 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC