Four-Pasta Beef Bake
This hearty casserole looks and tastes a lot like lasagna, but it's quicker to prepare since you don't have to layer it. It disappears fast when I share it at a gathering. Served with rolls and a salad, it makes an easy and satisfying supper.
-Harriet Stichter, Milford, Indiana
16-20 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 8 cups uncooked pasta (four assorted pasta shapes of your choice)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 jars (26 ounces each) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- skillet, cook the beef, peppers, onions and mushrooms over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Drain pasta and place in a large bowl; stir in the beef mixture, two
- jars of spaghetti sauce and eggs.
- Transfer to two greased 3-qt. baking dishes. Top with remaining
- sauce; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30
- minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 2 casseroles
- (8-10 servings each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 265 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 306 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.