Four-Onion Soup Recipe
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 medium leek (white portion only)
- 5 green onions with tops
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Slice all onions 1/4 in. thick. In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, saute onions and garlic in butter for 15 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Add broth, consomme, Worcestershire sauce and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Swiss cheese in the bottom of six oven-proof 8-oz. bowls. Ladle hot soup into bowls. Top each with a slice of bread. Sprinkle with remaining Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese if desired.
- 3. Broil 6-8 in. from the heat or until cheese melts. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 197 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein
Reviews for Four-Onion Soup
"I found this recipe in taste of home ring bound cookbook. I made it today for me and my husband. WOW. It is a definite keeper. So good and really mild. Will add this to our monthly menu. Thanks so much Taste of Home."
"My dad is French Canadian and ADORES French Onion soup. I found this recipe years back to make for him for father's day. It's his absolute FAV now! He's sick today, so fixing him some soup for a little TLC... I fix it just as indicated on the recipe. I wonder if making a double batch and freezing it would work? I'd imagine so. I'll have to try it for him one of these days."
"Even my kids love this and they hate onions. It's really good on a cold, winter day."