Meet the Cook: We delight in being hospitable - it's the true mark of a country home...even if it is in the city. This recipe's one I created myself. I enjoy various kinds of nuts and wanted a candy that has a different crunch in every bite.
My husband and I have a daughter, who's just turning 19 months old.
-Kelly-Ann Gibbons, Prince George, British Columbia
14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup each coarsely chopped almonds, pecans and walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Butter the sides of a large heavy saucepan. Add sugar, corn syrup and
- water; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over
- medium-low heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball
- stage). Stir in nuts and butter. Cook over medium heat to 300°
- (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from heat; vigorously stir in baking soda and vanilla until
- Quickly pour onto two greased baking sheets, spreading as thinly as
- possible with a metal spatula. Cool completely; break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers.
- Yield: 1-3/4 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 ounces) equals 319 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 264 mg sodium,