Four-Grain Bread Recipe
My family usually gobbles up these loaves before I have a chance to get them in the freezer. But I'm pleased they like this original recipe of mine.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, pour boiling water over oats. Add butter. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally.
- 2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add to oat mixture. Add the cornmeal, whole wheat flour, honey, salt and 3 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 118 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC