Four-Cheese Rice Casserole Recipe
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon beau monde seasoning
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the rice, spinach, 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, 1 cup Parmesan cheese and onion mixture.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, ricotta, milk, garlic powder and beau monde seasoning until smooth. Add to rice mixture and mix well.
- 3. Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Spice Islands beau monde seasoning. It is a blend of salt, onion powder and celery seed.
3/4 cup: 353 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Four-Cheese Rice Casserole
"I did not want to make this for twelve when making it for the first time so I halved everything and as usual, experimented on the family. I tried it "as is" this time and we all liked it. Here are my two problems with it...it is a huge amount of calories and sodium for 3/4 cup of it and maybe worse than all that...I sure could not do the prep in 10 minutes. I call "prep time" getting all of my ingredients out along with thinking ahead and getting all of the things that need to be done early plus heating the oven, greasing the pan and putting the whole dish together and getting it in the pan ready to go in the oven. By the time I thought ahead to thaw my spinach and drain it, get my cream cheese out to soften it, chopped a medium onion and cubed the butter, I was at 15 minutes. So although I liked the idea of this dish and it was a different side dish, it is just too much trouble to make for a lot of people in our family that can't spend all of their sodium allowance on 3/4 cup of a side dish."