Four-Cheese Baked Penne Recipe
- 4 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1-1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook penne according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, oregano, rosemary, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool for 15 minutes.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400°. Drain penne; add to sauce. Stir in cottage cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella and all of the ricotta. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 523 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 682 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.