Four-Cheese Baked Penne Recipe
- 4 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1-1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook penne according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, oregano, rosemary, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Drain penne; add to sauce. Stir in cottage cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella and all of the ricotta. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Four-Cheese Baked Penne
Sort By :
"Oh--how I wish I had read the reviews before I made this. I did NOT care for the rosemary in this dish. Otherwise, it was okay. Won't bother with it again."
"I am shocked this recipe is getting good reviews. Once its cooked its very dry and really has no flavor other than the rosemary which def does not fit into the flavor. I want to pour a jar of spag sauce on it to make it worth eating. Throwing out leftovers...that bad."
"This was very tasty and cheesy. it was no saucy and a bit dry, I will add some of my low cal. pasta sauce next time, but the flavor is very good. I may leave the rosemary out as wel next timel, as it is an italian dish."
Don't put the rosemary. I love rosemary, but I'm an old fashioned Italian and the rosemary didn't go with this dish. But it was excellent. I used baby shells and because I didn't have cottage cheese, plus my family doesn't like cottage cheese I used all ricotta cheese. It seemed a little dry, but I just added more sauce to it. It is a very good meal. I also added a bag of thawed frozen chopped broccoli, which gave it a little moisture and really added a nice taste to the dish."
"I thought this was excellent but didnt' care for it as leftovers though."