Four-Bean Supreme Recipe
This recipe has been in my family as long as anyone can remember. It's possible it came from Ireland with my great-great-grandparents.
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, dried oregano, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper
- 3 bacon strips, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1. In a large bowl, combine beans. In another bowl, combine the onion, sugars, salt, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce and seasonings. Stir into beans.
- 2. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with bacon pieces. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 220 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 692 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC