This recipe has been in my family as long as anyone can remember. It's possible it came from Ireland with my great-great-grandparents.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) pork and beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, dried oregano, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper
- 3 bacon strips, cut into 2-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, combine beans. In another bowl, combine the onion,
- sugars, salt, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce and seasonings. Stir
- into beans.
- Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with bacon pieces. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield:
- 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 220 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 692 mg sodium,