Four-Bean Salad Recipe
"MY MOTHER gave me this recipe. It was actually a three-bean salad, but I added the garbanzo beans (which are also know as chick peas). It goes over big at potlucks because it's not too sweet and not too sour. Be careful to get the vinegar and sugar mixture just right—no guessing on the amounts!"
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1/4 cup julienned green pepper
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large salad bowl, combine all of the beans, green pepper and onions. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight, stirring several times. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 172 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 403 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC