Four-Bean Medley Recipe
"This bean side dish always draws compliments," relates Susanne Wasson of Montgomery, New York. "Because it's easy to fix ahead and simmer in the slow cooker, it's convenient to take to potlucks and church meals."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Cook: 6 hours YIELD:8-10 servings
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) baked beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings; set bacon aside. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Stir in brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard and garlic powder.
- 2. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Place the beans in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add onion mixture and bacon; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until heated through. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 297 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 920 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC