"This bean side dish always draws compliments," relates Susanne Wasson of Montgomery, New York. "Because it's easy to fix ahead and simmer in the slow cooker, it's convenient to take to potlucks and church meals."
Recommended: 25 Potluck Side Dishes to Feed a Crowd
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) baked beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings; set bacon aside. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Stir in brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard and garlic powder.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Place the beans in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add onion mixture and bacon; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until heated through. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Four-Bean Medley in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p21
Reviews for Four-Bean Medley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 27, 2009
"This is an easy dish to prepare the night before, refrigerate and then just plug the crock pot in the next day. I took this to Xmas dinner and it was a hit. I used turkey bacon and would like to try vegetarian bacon the next time."