Fortune Cookies Recipe
Our Test Kitchen staff came up with these sweet Valentine treats. Tuck a written sentiment inside...and share the tasty homemade fortune cookies with your loved ones on that special day.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces white candy coating
- Red sprinkles, optional
- 1. Write fortunes on 10 strips of paper (5-in. x 3/4-in.): fold in half. Set aside. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw two 5-in. circles on the parchment paper. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, egg whites and extracts. Add flour; mix well. Spread 2 tablespoons of batter over each circle. Bake at 400° for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 3. Working with one cookie at a time, remove carefully from pan using a thin spatula (cover other cookie with clean kitchen towel to keep warm). Place a fortune in the center of cookie; fold cookie in half over fortune strip so that the edges meet. Press edges together for 3 seconds. Place center of cookie over rim of a glass; gently press ends down to bend cookie in half. Let cookie cool on glass for 1 minute, then remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining cookie. If cookies become too cool to fold, return to oven to soften for 1 minute. Repeat with remaining batter.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Top with sprinkles if desired. Yield: 10 cookies.
One serving (1 each) equals 172 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC